When Excel files go haywire, don’t hit the panic button. You can use below-mentioned tips to recover corrupted excel files and get hold of your important data.
An excel file getting corrupt is a common thing, and it doesn’t matter, how diligently you back up your Excel workbooks, the files may get corrupt.
Fortunately, Excel has a ‘File Recovery Mode’, which will come to use. The file recovery mode will help you recover the data when your system was shut down abruptly. However, the feature is not going to work for a damaged Excel Workbook.
Now, let’s get onto the tips to recover corrupted excel files without any further ado.
Let Excel Try
If the ‘automatic recovery mode’ fails to recover data, then you can try a manual feature to recover a corrupted workbook:
- From the ‘File’ menu and select ‘Open’.
- Find the damaged Excel file using the ‘Look in Control’ option.
- From the ‘Open Button’ dropdown list, select ‘Open & Repair’.
- To recover the workbook, click ‘Repair’ in the following dialog box.
This process has worked on a number of occasions, but we cannot guarantee as to whether it will work for you. If it doesn’t, then you need to try the next tips to recover corrupted excel files.
If the Excel File Gets Damaged During Use
If that is the case, don’t save the workbook. You should go back to the last saved version instead. Doing that will discard the corrupted component from the file, however, you will lose some of your precious data, saving the majority in the process. To go back to the last saved version, here is what you’re going to do:
- From the ‘File’ menu, select ‘Open’.
- Using ‘Look In Control’ option, find and select the corrupted workbook.
- Finally, click ‘Open’.
Disable Automatic Calculation
If the aforementioned methods fail to open the Excel file, then you should try to set the calculation method to manual and try again. Here is how you can reset the calculation setting:
- Open a new excel sheet.
- Choose ‘Options’ from the ‘Tools’ menu followed by clicking ‘Calculation’ tab.
- In the ‘Calculation’ section, click ‘Manual’.
- Click ‘OK’.
Check if the Excel file works normally. If it doesn’t, then move onto the next tip because you’re not a quitter, right!?
Try Microsoft Office Tools
You can also make use of Microsoft Office Tools to recover your corrupted excel files.
- From the ‘Start’ Menu, choose ‘All Programs’.
- Select ‘MS Office’, then ‘MS Office Tools’.
- Select ‘MS Office Application Recovery’.
- In the dialog box that follows next, select ‘MS Office Excel’.
- Click ‘Recover Application’ and wait, as the process will take a few minutes.
- Respond to ‘Send Report To Microsoft’ prompt.
Once you use this recovery tool, your Excel will be restarted, and then, you will see the list of recovered workbooks. If you are lucky, you will find your corrupted excel file on the list. Therefore, you can select the file and open it to retrieve the data.
Other Tips to Recover Corrupted Excel Files:
- Move the excel file from its current location on the hard drive to another because sometimes, the problem lies in the location rather than the file itself.
- Install Open Office Suite, which is a great alternative to Microsoft Office, so you can try opening the file with Open Office to see if it works there.
- You can try opening the excel file in MS Word or WordPad. Although the data won’t appear the same as in a workbook, you will still be able to retrieve important information.
You will definitely be able to retrieve your precious data after following aforementioned tips to recover corrupted excel files.
If you still need help with your Excel Files, be sure to contact a local data recovery company today!